Monday, February 16, 2009

An Amazing Family Day Weekend

CRAZY HAIR!!! I love this photo-Jake and his Dad were busy playing in his new Ikea tent this morning and this was the end hair result! I just liked the way the light fell across both of their faces and seeing Jake's fine hair stand on end. Tomorrow is haircut day!!

I also love this picture...


I'm getting a very heartfelt hug and kiss. Today was one of those days where our day was just perfect. We got to sleep in, have a yummy breakfast as a family, get some errands done and play in the park.

What I love most is watching Jake and Mat interact. They love each other so much and make each other laugh so easily, in fact Mat can make Jake laugh so hard he pukes (this has actually happened a number of times). I just felt so grateful today and I'm sure this is in part due to an article I read in the paper last week about a man who went to visit his parents in the Democratic Republic of Congo and ended up being held captive for 7 months by the Lord's Resistance Army. I felt sick when I read it and I haven't been able to shake the images his words conjured up.

How is it that I can be here in Canada with my child and husband and have no worries about food, safety, clothing or shelter when on the other side of the world women and children are being raped and butchered? It brought back memories of watching the movie Shooting Dogs
. I cried throughout the movie but the ending truly caused me to sob hysterically for the next two hours--I just didn't know that this was going on. Call me naive, call me self-absorbed, call me what you will but the point is even after learning more about the situation I felt so helpless. I still do. And I don't know what to do about it. We sponsor a child but that seems like such a small, insignificant thing. I'm not too sure where I'm going with this but it's in the direction of me learning how to make a difference, not just in my own family or in my own community, but for the sake of humanity. What do you do to help make the world a better, safer place for all? Big question isn't it?

Dream big. Imagine. Be inspired.
LIVE

No comments: