Sunday, January 25, 2009

Is it Time To Renovate?

It's very weird to have our house go from this...

to this in a matter of 24 hours. The above photos were taken before we took possession of our house and so it's not our stuff but it gives you a good idea of what it looked like. The photos below were taken on Saturday.
As you can see, we're doing a massive renovation of our house. Both the main floor and basement are being gutted and essentially we're redoing everything. It's a big job. What's interesting for me is how this renovation is serving as a metaphor for my own life. It's made me think about my "foundation" and "bones" and also what needs to be updated on the inside. What have I outgrown? What was useful at one point and now doesn't serve a purpose? This means consciously paying attention to things like my habits, routines, things I say to myself, my story if you will. Just because that's the way I am/was doesn't mean I need to stay that way. I can choose to change. I can choose to renovate my life--keep what I like and ditch the rest.

I saw a quote the other day that I liked--it went something like this "The purpose of life isn't to find yourself, it's to create yourself everyday" or something along those lines. This links in perfectly with my "renovation metaphor"--what do I want to create for myself today?
What do you want to create for yourself? How would life be better if you did or didn't have something? Who would you get to be?

Dream big. Imagine. Be inspired.
LIVE

No comments: